How To Appeal


     January 1 is the property valuation date for the following tax year. The County Assessor must mail the Notice of Value card to you no later than March 1. The assessor's opinion of the market value of the property is indicated on the postcard as "Full Cash Value". The assessor's determination of the use of the property is reflected in the legal classification as indicated on the postcard. A.R.S.§§ 42-11001 , 15101,15102 ,15103. and Title 42, Chapter 12, articles 1, 2, 3, and 4.
Your Right To Appeal
     If you believe the "Full Cash Value" is greater than the market value of the property - or that the legal classification is incorrect - you have two methods of appeal: Administrative or Judicial. A.R.S.§§ 42-15104,16051, 16201.

     You may appeal the "Full Cash Value" or legal classification to the County Assessor where your property is located. This is the first step of the Administrative Process. Steps for this process are outlined below. A.R.S.§ 42-16051

     You may file a petition directly with the Tax Court at any time after receiving the Notice of Value, provided you do not file an administrative appeal - but you must file it no later than December 15. This is the Judicial Process. You are responsible for expenses such as filing fees. A.R.S.§§ 42-16201 , 16202 , 16203 , 16204 , 16205 .

Administrative Process

Step 1
     File a petition with the County Assessor. The filing deadline is printed on the Notice of Value card. You must file your appeal within 60 days after the card was mailed to you. A.R.S.§ 42-16051 D.

Step 2
     You may request a meeting with the County Assessor's office - or submit written evidence that supports your appeal. The assessor must consider, decide, and answer all requests on or before August 15. A.R.S.§§ 42-16054 , 16055,

If you reach an agreement, no further appeal is permitted. A.R.S.§ 42-16056.

Step 3
     If you do not agree with the assessor's decision, you may file a petition with the Board of Equalization for that county. The petition must be filed within 25 days of the date the assessor's decision was mailed to you. However, you may decide to bypass the Board and appeal directly to the Tax Court within 60 days. A.R.S.§§ 42-16056, 16157,   16201.

Step 4
     If you are not satisfied with the Board of Equalization's decision, you may appeal to the Tax Court. Be sure to file your appeal no later than 60 days after the Board of Equalization decision is mailed to you. A.R.S.§§ 16168, 16203 .

Notice of Change Appeals

Individuals may file an appeal pursuant to  A.R.S.§ 15105, supplemental notice of appeal of valuation in case of new construction, additions, deletions, splits, consolidations or change in use. These appeals are filed directly to the Board within 25 days after the date of the assessor's notice.

Notice of Proposed Correction and Taxpayer Notice of Claim Appeals

These appeals are for correction of prior tax year records. Property owners may file an appeal to the Assessor pursuant to  A.R.S.§42-16252 Assessor Notice of Proposed Correction or  A.R.S. §42-16254 Taxpayer Notice of Claim within the time limits specified in the statutes. After the appeal to the County Assessor individuals may file an appeal to the County Board of Equalization or State Board of Equalization. The appeal must be filed on a form AZDOR 82179C Petition for Review of Proposed Correction or AZDOR 82179C-1 Petition For Review of Taxpayer Notice of Claim. File the form along with a copy of the original form AZDOR 82179A Notice of Proposed Correction or form AZDOR 82179B Taxpayer Notice of Claim. Be sure to include a copy of the Assessor's decision if available. These appeals are filed directly to the Board. If filed electronically, the taxpayer must submit the requested hard copies by mail or in person.

Electronic Filing/E-Filing

Individuals may file an electronic petition according to the rules above for manual filing, but without having to mail in a form, by filling out an electronic filing via this web site. Make sure you understand the rules and the deadlines and then  click here to start an individual e-filing .

Agents filing large amounts of petitions or individuals submitting many tax filings may also talk to the SBOE about sending in a bulk database filing.

Rejected Petitions

Petitions rejected by the Assessor cannot be e-filed to the Board. When filing a petition that has been rejected by the Assessor, mail or deliver the original filing in addition to attaching the required information to correct the deficiencies. Petitions rejected by the Assessor for the second time must include the original of the second rejection. Petitions rejected by the Assessor after June 15 are filed directly to the Board.