SBOE Agency File Uploader – MASSFILE2.EXE
General Info and Download
In order to aid agents who wish to upload "bulk" type filings of several parcels included in a data file, SBOE has written a special uploader program, MASSFILE2.EXE. This is a fairly simple dialog uploader program which looks like this in it's newest version:
Massfile2.EXE offers several advantages in uploading information and is a straightforward program to use. Click on any of the links in this page to download it:
DOWNLOAD MASSFILE2.EXE in a WINZIP compatible ZIP format.
To obtain an free evaluation version of WINZIP, go to this site (useful utility).
To keep things simple Massfile2.EXE is a basic program. Create a new directory to save it to and, if you wish, create a shortcut to it from your desktop. Massfile2.EXE will not add itself to your windows Start Menu or Registry, so keep track of where you put it. If you lose track of it you can always download it again.
When you run Massfile2 you will notice a simple dialog which allows you to enter various information about the upload, along with a mechanism to allow you to select your data file containing your multiple parcels to file. Note that you must be connected to the internet via modem or proxy (either is fine) to actually send the file.
Massfile2 supports three file types for bulk files to SBOE.
- Access allows you to send an Access MDB to us for those users familiar with Microsoft Access. To get a sample MDB and to see the file layout specifics click here.
- Many users will have systems which can export to DBF format. Those using systems written in CA-Clipper, Foxbase, Foxpro, or Dbase IV will especially find this helpful, but other programs may also be able to export to DBF format. To keep things simple download our sample Dbase III+ compatible table and add the records to it directly. To get a sample DBF file and/or see file specifics click here.
- Some users will want to just send text files to us. This is somewhat tricker than the above formats but we allow it for those firms unable to provide the others. If you wish to use TEXT as your sending format please contact us directly so we can be sure to check out your format in depth during your first several file sendings. Send emails for more info on this format to webmaster.
Once you've downloaded the appropriate sample file and added your records to it, whatever format you may use, Massfile2.EXE may be run to upload your file to SBOE. You will, of course, need to be connected to the internet also.
To Use Massfile2:
The following information is useful when filling in dialog fields during an actual file send.
- Once you've downloaded the file you may wish to make a shortcut to it on your desktop. Massfile2 will not setup new icons or add itself to your start menu. So remember where you saved it to on your hard disk and make sure you can find it when you need it, we recommend making a shortcut to it on your desktop. [If all else fails you can download it again from our site.]
- Filling in the text boxes in Massfile2.EXE:
Enter your SBOE Agency Number field
You must enter your SBOE agency number here to send a file. If you've forgotten what it is please feel free to call SBOE 602-364-1611.
Transfer Type radio buttons
You may select whichever transfer type you want, Access, Dbase or Text by clicking the appropriate radio button.
Upload File field(s) and Locate button(s)
Type in or use the Locate button(s) to find the file(s) you wish to send to us. If you type it in use the full path to the file.
Confirmation Email Address field
You must fill in an email where we can send the confirmation to. This should be the same as that of the CEMAILCONF field in the Dbase or Access main tables. SBOE will reply to you with a confirmation of what parcels we received by sending an email to this address. Alternatively, you can use a web site lookup to check on parcels you've sent via bulk as part of the agent lookups on the SBOE homesite.
The comments field is optional. For pressing concerns you may wish to call us rather than rely on this field as the process will be automated. A good place for any miscellaneous notes on the upload.
Download Sample DBF button
Allows you to download an empty Dbase III+ table which you can populate for a Dbase type file upload
Download Sample MDB button
Allows you to download an empty Microsoft Access Database file which you can populate for an Access type file upload.
Send File(s) to SBOE button
When you've selected your file and filled in the necessary information you can click this button to actually upload the file to SBOE. Note that you must have a connection to the internet on the machine you are running for Send to work correctly.
Send File(s) to Maricopa button
Next year Maricopa will be allowing direct filings to the county level of appeal using the Uploader as well. For more info on this go here.
[Programmers: Automation of Massfile2.EXE
For programmer types wishing to automate Massfile2.exe note that just sending a file to our FTP site will not work (good try, though). Contact SBOE programmer about obtaining a DLL version of Massfile2.EXE which may be called from Visual Basic or other DLL servers.]
Review File Formats in Our Documentation First
When sending in a table format be sure to look at and study our file format information on the web site. From just looking at a field's table name, you may misunderstand what a field refers to so take the time to do this. Also it will help you to avoid the following common problem:
Don't Leave Critical Fields Blank
When you send information via a bulk file it is similar to filing the petition by mail. Specifically, certain fields must be filled in to be make the filing legitimate. These are the same as when filing by mail, with the exception that an email confirmation address is also required when filing by bulk.
Critical Fields Not to Forget to Fill In in Upload File:
or Rollno: This is obvious.
Assessor Date: The assessor's date from the postcard should always be included in normal season
filing. The rare exceptions would be a Notice of Change filing which did not contain an assessor's date
or an Error/Correction type filing, in all other cases this field is required.
Submittor's Phone: Let us have a way to contact you if problems.
Tax Year of Appeal: This is not an optional field, don't assume we can read your mind. SBOE is always considering old tax years along with the current one, so be specific.
County Code: An obvious one.
Confirm Email Address: Make sure you enter it in table as well as in Massfile2 dialog.
SBOE Agent No: Again, make sure you enter it in your upload file table also.
The chairman has stated to me emphatically that electronic filing is a desired goal for large filers. Many people are afraid of lost parcels so several redundancy check systems have been put in place.
For those who still are at all afraid we recommend that you file your majority of filings several days before a deadline (saving last minute ones for a last minute send). At that point, the email and web site lookups should give you adequate proof of filing. In the rare case of a confirmation not being received correctly, you may bring it to my personal attention and the matter will be quickly resolved.
- You should receive back an email to your confirmation email address within one day, and usually within 2-3 hours of filing.
- You may also peruse a lookup on our web site for information on all your past bulk filings and then print this for further evidence, documentation, etc. of your Electronic Filing.
- In the rare case of lost information the chairman has made it clear that we will be ready to extend full cooperation and adaptation of whatever rules to fix the situation. It is a high priority with the chairman that electronic filing be implemented agency wide.